The main goal of the project is to prepare interactive tests and games for secondary school students and teachers, so they can use it in class or for homework.
Tests and games are designed in the format of interactive PDF files. The main advantage is their immediate evaluation, attractive graphics and uniform system of navigation. The entire set of 800 materials covers all topics of secondary school mathematics. Tests and games can be used on interactive whiteboards or computers as well.
These interactive materials:
- are attractive for students
- improve maths skills of the students
- bring joy into math classes
The outcome of the project:
- Interactive tests
- Puzzle games
- Jeopardy and similar games
- Step-by-step worked examples
Examples of tests and games
Link to the sample test - The aim of this test is to practice how to estimate the value of a limit from the graph. The Czech phrase 'Limita neexistuje' stands for "The limit does not exist".
In this game students match questions with their answers. For each correctly matched pair (question - answer) a part of the puzzle is uncovered. You have to select question first and then find the matching answer. At the end of the game you click on button “hodnoceni” for evaluation.
Link to the sample puzzle games I - In this game students can practice fractions. Each shape is divided into three parts. Fractions describe the area of each part. The area of each shape is 1. Your task is to find the unknown value x for each shape.
Link to the sample puzzle game II - In this game students can practice basic facts about asymptotes. To each graph of a function (asymptotes are also included) you have to match corresponding function. You can choose a graph by scrolling through a workbook. When you match the correct pair (graph & function), the graph disappears from the workbook.
Link to the sample Jeopardy - This game is a version of the well-known Jeopardy game. This game contains questions on functions with absolute values and linear fractional functions and inequalities with such functions.
Based on multiple choice questions from tests additional puzzles and educational games are obtained. By answering questions the player either uncovers parts of funny picture designed exclusively for the project (link to the game) or a pair of players struggles to join three sides of a triangle and at the same time tries to prevent the second player from achieving the same goal (link to the game).
- Department of Applied Mathematics, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, VŠB - Technical University of Ostrava, www.am.vsb.cz
- Petr Beremlijski, Department of Applied Mathematics, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, VŠB - Technical University of Ostrava, email@example.com
- Grammar School, Ostrava-Hrabůvka, http://www.ghrabuvka.cz
- Secondary Grammar School of Otto Wichterle, http://www.wigym.cz
- Slavonic Grammar School, Olomouc, http://www.sgo.cz
- Secondary Technical School Přerov, http://sps-prerov.cz
- Secondary School of Electrical Engineering Lipnik nad Becvou, http://www.sse-lipniknb.cz
Target groups: secondary school students, teachers
Country: Czech Republic
Start year: 2012
End year: 2015